“Don’t try this with iceberg,” advises Roberta’s chef Carlo Mirarchi. Flavorful, robust lettuces work best, allowing you to get grill marks on one side while the rest wilts.
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts and/or large heads of Treviso radicchio, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mizuna or baby mustard greens
- 1 avocado, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Brush cut sides of lettuce with a total of 2 Tbsp. oil; season with kosher salt and pepper. Grill lettuce, cut side down, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes.
Toss mizuna with 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl; season with kosher salt.
Dollop crème fraîche on a platter and top with grilled lettuce and avocado; scatter mizuna over. Drizzle with lemon juice and more oil; season with sea salt and pepper.